Saturday, June 5, 2010

Burn After Reading

Burn After Reading by the Coen Brothers,
a different kind of review
[Spoiler Alert]

This movie left me with an unsavory distate for the story. While watching it, I thought of the many directions the plot and the characters could have taken to develop a stronger film aesthetic. Starting with the characters; Chad and Linda seemed cartoonish at their best, as their lack of common sense on issues such as blackmail and extortion was plainly outrageous. The fact that this woman was just able to waltz in to the Russian embassy and just hand over 'potential' highly important information, undermines the sense of paranoia one can only enjoy by living in DC and its surrounding areas. But, combine this with the clownish expression that Chad gave us just before he got shot in the head, and that is where the surrealism of this whole story kicks in. It's scary to accept this, but it appears that there are people like this; again, scary. Harry seems the normal one of the bunch and that is saying something; self obsessed, knows what to say to get his way (flattering, is that even an adjective to describe someone?), going through mid-life crisis and a womanizer. Paranoid? A little, but who can blame him; big and little brother were watching him. Dr. Cox (forgot her name) again, a bit exaggerated it seemed that the writer's purpose with her was to cause in the audience the same discomfort that she gave everyone in the movie: we all agreed that she was a cold stuck-up bitch. Osbourne, oh god... he was my favorite, but I think that is because I have a thing for Malkovich; he is an ateur and I respect that. Still, why is he so deluded and out of his own senses (I don't agree that he was an alcoholic)? Sandy? she did what she had to do.

The plot is weird, and it didn't have the same coherent characteristic that Magnolia had. Why Magnolia? Well, I thought of it because of the collage of characters and their interconnectedness. It's a nice movie, but not quite good enough for my elitist taste in movies (though some people might contest that, but that is besides the point). It appears that romance (or the look for that grateful other) is always a weaving point in Hollywood movies; and as someone who has looked at online dating in the DC area, Linda's story is all the more funny to me...and sad. Truth to be honest, her body issues are not out of place because DC is full of 'fit' people (notice how I didn't say pretty, gorgeous or hot) and it's hard out there to be the 805,743 ugly/unfit person in DC. And I just became cognizant of this last Monday when I went to nearby Six Flags (and adjacent water park) and saw all the ugliness that Maryland and DC has to offer (and I loved it; the only guy that stood out of the crowd? A tanned/shaved armpits muscular white dude that was sunbathing at the water park, go figure!).

Anyway, these are some of the unanswered Queries:

  1. What's up with the dildo chair?
  2. Why did Washington DC exude this romantic ambiance to it in the movie? I felt like I was in Paris, Madrid or somewhere in the old world.
  3. Why was Dr. Cox a cold-stuck up bitch even to her kiddie patients?

I give this movie, 3/5 Coelacanths

No comments: