Monday, July 19, 2010

Writer's Block

The concept of writer’s block apparently came up in the 19th century in the romantic era in which literature, poetry and writing were activities that were considered as the result of passions; it could not be forced. The persons who dedicated their lives to such endeavors, were people that were 'skillful' in inciting their own emotions and passions by reeling in 'inspiration'.

As a student, trying to come up with coherent thoughts is hard enough, so I can't imagine what these artists where putting themselves through. They were perfectionists, but did so in their desire of fulfilling the purism expected of the time; a self-imposed purism based on the canons of good writing and the emotions stirred by art.

How hard is it when you think your life depends on your writing skills and you feel what you are producing is not good enough? When you are stuck and rightfully despair into doubt and preoccupation about your work, what should one do? Is it art what students do? I don't consider myself an artist for doing so, but as students we are expected to convey complex 'thoughts' and 'ideas' in a constrained and different language than the one we communicate every day. I bet that those of us who do a better job at this could be considered true artists as they convey 'thoughts' and 'ideas' to others; and by doing so, engage in dialogues that most often than not, stir emotional responses among us (or our professors).


I started this blog to practice my writing skills for my current and future academic life, but a lot of times I think of topics that I wish to elaborate on and fall short of elaborating them for fear that they might not be interesting enough. I think I'm still trying to find a style that suits me. So, I feel I should be writing something for the sake of practicing even though I feel blocked.



In reference to the New Yorker Magazine article: Blocked: Why do writers stop writing.

2 comments:

Janice Tiburcio said...

Most "expert" advice on this topic can be summed up in three words: just keep writing.

I know, not easy. Still, it seems to work. That's how our favorite authors have done it.

The problem might be your chosen outlet. A formal blog creates certain expectations that can cause you stress and send you back to square one.

Hence, a journal or a less informal outlet might be a better training ground.

Davide the Half-Blood Roboto said...

Thanks.
I write everywhere (or try). As of the moment,I don't feel the blog constrains me but it does have a purpose for the moment, and it is to 'force' me to write stuff as I would be doing in school year round: analyzing and coming up with something. At least until the semester starts, later on I'll reassess what I'm doing.

I still write in my other 'outlets'. I'll let you know how this goes.